Dr Peter Young, MD, FFICM, FRCA, DA, MB ChB
Peter is a consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn. He trained at Edinburgh Medical School and subsequently worked in Edinburgh, Leeds, Norwich, Cambridge and Christchurch, New Zealand.
Peter completed his MD dissertation at the University of East Anglia on Pulmonary Aspiration in Mechanical Ventilation. His research interests include preventing ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP) and the development of medical devices engineered to improve patient safety. Peter is the inventor of the PneuX™ (LoTrach) endotracheal and tracheostomy tube and cuff pressure controller, a system which prevents VAP by eliminating pulmonary aspiration in the critically ill patients. This innovation is being used in Critical Care units in the USA and UK. Peter was selected as a fellow on the NHS Innovation Accelerator programme to understand the barriers to implementation of VAP prevention strategies
From a worldwide call, Peter was selected as one of 17 fellows for Professor Sir Bruce Keogh and Simon Steven’s NIA programme. This programme helps to create the conditions and cultural change for proven innovations to be adopted in a fast and systematic manner throughout the NHS, to deliver tangible patient benefits. Peter’s innovation is the PneuX™ pneumonia prevention system.
This programme is delivered collaboratively by NHS England, The Health Foundation, UCL Partners and the Academic Health Science Networks.
Winner – 2016
Winner, 2016, Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (Hypoglycaemia with blood sampling techniques).
Finalist, Highly commended – 2016
National Patient Safety Award (WireSafe)
Finalist – 2015
Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (Central line safety guidewire)
Winner – 2015
Association of Aneasthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (NIC)
Winner – 2014
Association of Aneasthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (SAFIRA)
Finalist – 2014
National Patient Safey Award (Central line safety guidewire)
Winner – 2013
Healthcare Watchdog Award (Chlorhexidine Cleaning)
Finalist – 2013
BMJ Awards (Chlorexidine Cleaning)
Winner – 2012
National Patient Safety Award (NIC)
Finalist – 2012
Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (Chest Drain Forceps)
Winner – 2011
Red Dot Best of Best Award. (Venner APA video laryngoscope)
2nd Prize Winer – 2010
Cleveland Clinic Top Ten Award (PneuXTN Pneumonia Prevention)
- AAGBI Annual Congress, London (January 2016)
- Annual Academic Sessions of the College of Anaesthesiologists of Sri Lanka (January 2016)
- Conference Sri Lanka (Faculty talks on VAP, Futility & Innovation) (February 2016)
- Clinical Pharmacy Congress, London (April 2016)
- CCG, London (April 2016)
- Scata Birmingham (May 2016)
- ESA London Presented Poster on CVC Safety (May 2016)
- NHS Confederation Meeting (June 2016)
- NHS Commissioner Show (June 2016)
- Patient Safety Meeting (July 2016)
- AUHUK Meeting, Presentation on NHS Innovator Accelerator Programme (July 2016)
- EXPO Meeting (July 2016)
- NIA Submit, Presentation Pneux (July 2016)
- AHFE Congress, Florida, Presented abstracts on CVC & NIC (July 2016)
- AAGBI & STP Talk, Award for Arterial Glucose Innovation (September 2016)
- DECIDE Study (September 2016)
- Birmingham Human Factors Meeting (September 2016)
- CHFG Conference (October 2016)
- Wales Deanery Trainer and Education Development Day (October 2016)
- Swansea Deanery Trainer and Education Development Day (November 2016)
- Wales Deanery Trainer and Education Development Day (November 2016)
- Norwich Anaesthetic Study Day (December 2016)
- Medtech UK, London (London)
- Royal College of Anaesthetists THRIVE day (1st April 2015)
- Difficult Airway Day, Wexham Park (28th April 2015)
- Citizens Senate, Cambridge (12th August 2015)
- AAGBI Annual Meeting, Edinburgh (24th September 2015)
- European Society of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, Amsterdam (6TH October 2015)
- Sanger Institute, Cambridge (7th October 2015)
- Mass. General Hospital (6th November 2015)
- Patient First, London (November 2015)
- World Airway Management Meeting (WAMM), Dublin (13TH November 2015)
- Patient Safety Congress (presentation & session chair), Liverpool (2014)
- International Forum of Patient Safety (Interactive innovation stand), Paris, France (2014)
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Annual Congress. Edinburgh (2014)
- Patient Safety Forum (Interactive innovation stand), Birmingham (2014)
- EAHSN & Eastern Research & Innovation Network (presentation & session chair), BMA House, London, UK (2014)
- Innovation Day, Cambridge University, UK (2014)
- Wireless Innovation meeting, Cambridge, UK. (2014)
- CARE Annual meeting. Warwick, UK. (2014)
- Papworth Ventilation Study Day, Papworth, UK. (2014)
- East Anglian Thoracic Society, Norfolk, UK. (2014)
- Eastern Area Intensive Care Group meeting (2014)
- World Congress of Environmental Health, Las Vegas, USA (2014)
- Acute Medicine Group, Eastern Region Meeting, Newmarket, UK (2014)
- AAGBI Annual Congress, Harrogate, UK (2014)
- East Midlands Critical Care and Peri-Operative Meeting, Nottingham, UK (2014)
- EAHSN Partner Forum, Cambridge, UK (2014)
- Adult Nasal High Flow Clinical Research Forum (Chair and Speaker), Warwick, UK (2014)
- NWLCC Network annual clinical event (2 presentations), London (2014)
- Clinical Innovation Day, University of East Anglia, UK (2013)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (Interactive innovation stand), San Francisco, USA (2013)
- Head and Neck Surgery’s Didactic Conference, MD Anderson, USA (2012)
- MD Anderson Grand Round, University of Texas Medical Centre, USA (2012)
- Critical Care Symposium (presentation & session chair), London (2012)
- Midlands VAP Study Day, Birmingham (2012)
- CARE Annual Meeting, Warwick, UK (2012)
- British Association of Critical Care Nurses, UK (2012)
- Laryngology, London (2011)
- Blackpool Critical Care Update Meeting, Blackpool (2010)
- Association of NW Intensive Care Units (ANWICU) Meeting, Manchester (2010)
- NORDAX meeting, Oslo, Norway (2010)
- International Congress on Emergency Medicine (ICEM), Singapore, (2010)
- New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton (2010)
- Lille, Hopital Calmette, Lille, France (2010)
- International Society of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine Congress. Brussels, Belgium (2009)
- Intensive Care Society Annual Meeting. Manchester, UK (2009)
- GAT Annual meeting, Cambridge, UK. (2009)
- CARE Annual meeting. London, UK. (2009)
- Cleveland Clinic, Ohio (2009)
- 2nd Multidisciplinary Congress of Airway Specialists, London (2008)
- ICS Research Workshop (2008)
- London Intensive Care Group (2008)
- Advances in Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, Spain (2007)
- Royal National Throat, Ear and Nose Hospitals Airway Training Day, London (2007)
- Guy’s Hospital, London (2007)
- South Thames SPR Study Day (2007)
- Society of Airway Medicine, San Diego, USA (2006)
- Intensive Care Society (ICS), London (2006)
Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
- Young PJ, Rollinson M, Downward G, Henderson S. Leakage of fluid past the tracheal tube cuff in a benchtop model. British Journal of Anaesthesia 1997; 78: 557-562.
- Young PJ, Ridley SA, Downward G. Evaluation of a new design of tracheal tube cuff to prevent leakage of fluid to the lungs. British Journal of Anaesthesia 1998; 80: 796-799.
- Young PJ, Basson C, Hamilton D, Ridley SA. The pressure limited tracheal tube cuff: prevention of aspiration of oropharyngeal fluid to the lungs. Anaesthesia 1999; 54: 559-563. ????
- Young PJ, Blunt MC. Improving the shape and compliance characteristics of a high volume low pressure cuff improves tracheal seal. British Journal of Anaesthesia 1999; 83: 887-889.
- Young PJ, Blunt MC. The compliance characteristics of the Portex Soft-Seal cuff improves seal against leakage of fluid in a pig trachea model. Critical Care 1999; 3: 123-126.
- Young PJ, Burchett K, Harvey I, Blunt MC. The prevention of pulmonary aspiration with control of tracheal wall pressure using a silicone cuff. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2000; 28: 660-5.
- Blunt MC, Young PJ, Patil A, Haddock A. Gel lubrication of the tracheal tube cuff reduces pulmonary aspiration. Anesthesiology 2001; 95(2): 377-81.
- Young PJ. A Spoon full of sugar – Improving the sensitivity of the Glucose Oxidase Test Strip Method for detecting subclinical pulmonary aspiration of enteral feed. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2001; 29: 539–543.
- Young PJ, Young WH. Inflation of a pressure-limited cuff inside a model trachea. Med Eng Phys. 2003; 25:465-73
- Hussain T, Roy U, Young PJ. The incidence and immediate respiratory consequences of pulmonary aspiration of enteral feed as detected using a modified glucose oxidase test. Anaesth Intensive Care 2003; 31:272-276
- Young P, Pakeerathan, S, Blunt M, Subramanya S. A low-volume, low-pressure tracheal tube cuff reduces pulmonary aspiration. Critical Care Medicine 2006 Mar; 34 (3): 632-9.
- Young P. The LoTrachTM, A Tracheal Tube for Critical Care. Original Article. The Journal of the Intensive Care Society 2007; 8 (1): 72-75.
- Fletcher A, Ruffell A, Young P. The LoTrach system: its role in the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Nursing In Critical Care 2008 Sep-Oct; 13 (5): 260-8.
- Doyle A, Santhirapala R, Crowe M, Blunt M, Young P. The pressure exerted on the tracheal wall by two endotracheal tube cuffs: A prospective observational bench-top, clinical and radiological study. BMC Anaesthesiology 2010; 10: 21. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2253/10/21
- Doyle A, Fletcher A, Carter J, Blunt M, Young P. The incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia using the PneuX System with or without elective endotracheal tube exchange: A pilot study. BMC Research Notes 2011; 4: 92. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/4/92
- Young P, Doyle A. Preventing Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia – The Role of the Endotracheal Tube. Current Respiratory Medicine Reviews, 2012; 8: 170-183. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/crmr/2012/00000008/00000003/art00005?crawler=true
- Doyle A & Young P, A Review Of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia:
- From Pathophysiology To Prevention, British Journal of Intensive Care,
- Spring 2012, 17-22 (Invited review, Cover feature).
- Yarham S, Young PJ. VAP and New Airway Technologies. Review. Trauma 2008; 10: 71-83. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1460408608088771
- Fletcher A, Ruffell A, Young P. LoTrach System and its role in the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Review. Nurs Crit Care 2008 Sep-Oct;13(5):260-8.
- Young P. A Tracheal Tube for Critical Care Review. Journal of the Intensive Care Society. 2007; 8(1): 72-75.
- Young PJ. Ventilatory Support. Review. Surgery 2003; 21: 77-80.
- Young PJ, Gunning KE. The pathophysiology of respiratory failure and indications for respiratory support. Review. Surgery 2000; 18: 287-291.
- Young PJ, Ridley SA. Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia – Diagnosis, Pathogenesis and Prevention. Review. Anaesthesia 1999; 54: 1183-1197.
- Sathishkumar S, Young P. Tracheal cuff pressures – a survey of clinical practice. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2002; 88(3): 456
- Doyle A, Hodd J, Young P. Blowing the pipes clean works! Respiratory Care
- 2010 Aug; 55 (8): 1103. http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/55/8/1103.short
- Young P, Wyncoll D. Continuous cuff pressure control and the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Critical Care Medicine 2007 Oct; 35 (10): 2470-1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17885409
- Young PJ. Wyncoll D. Continuous cuff pressure control and the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Crit Care Med 2007 Vol. 35, No. 10. 2470-1.
- Wyncoll D, Young P. Treating Oral decontamination treats the symptom, not the cause.
- BMJ. 2007 May 12;334(7601):967-8.
- Wyncoll D, Young P. PEEP is protective against pulmonary microaspiration. Crit Care Med. 2009 Jan;37(1):380
- Young PJ. Wyncoll D. The effect of positive expiratory pressure and tracheal tube cuff type on pulmonary aspiration. Crit Care Med. 2008 May;36(5):1691-2
- Young PJ. Leakage of fluid around high-volume, low-pressure cuffs. Anaesthesia 2001; 56(5): 493.
- Young PJ, Ridley SA. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. Anaesthesia, April 2000.
- Veenith T, Ganeshamoorthy S, Standley T, Carter J, Young P. Intensive care unit tracheostomy: a snapshot of UK practice. Int Arch Med. 2008;1:21
- Hodd J, Doyle A, Carter J, Albarran J and Young P, Current practice of extubation in Intensive Care Units in the United Kingdom: An Online Survey, Nursing in Critical Care, 2010, 15(6), 281-284.
- Hodd J, Doyle A, Carter J, Albarran J and Young P, Increasing PEEP at Extubation Reduces Subglottic Secretion Aspiration in a Bench-Top Model, Nursing in Critical Care, 2010, 15(5), 257-261.
- Pearson DM, Young PJ. Use of the LMA-Supreme for airway rescue. Anesthesiology. 2008 Aug;109(2):356-7.
- Andrew J.W. Fletcher; Ramai Santhirapala, Peter J. Young. Introducing the LMA Supreme TM into clinical practice: use by experienced and inexperienced LMA users. BJA online, 27th August 2008. http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/qa-display/short/brjana_el;3208
- De Silva, Young PJ. The Proseal LMA and Pulmonary Aspiration. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, VOL 30; PART 3;391; 2002
- Swine Flu: Provision of Ventilation in a worst case scenario
- Doyle A, Carter J, Young P. Critical Care 2009 13:422
- Howell V, Thoppil A, Young H, Sharma S, Blunt M, Young P. Chlorhexidine to maintain cleanliness of laryngoscope handles: an audit and laboratory study. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2013 May; 30 (5): 216-21. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23511956
- Cummings IM, Howell V, Thoppil A, Flaxman E, Sharma S, Blunt M, Young P. Chlorhexidine cleaning of re-usable bougies. Anaesthesia 2013 Aug; 68 (8): 830-4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23672624
- Shukla B, Howell V, Griffiths A, Thoppil A, Liu M, Carter J, Young P. Superiority of Chlorhexidine 2%/ alcohol 70% wipes in decontaminating ultrasound equipment. Ultrasound 2014 DOI: 10.1177/1742271X14529761
- Howell V, Thoppil A, Mariyaselvam M, Jones, R, Young H, Sharma S, Blunt M, Young P. Disinfecting the iPad: evaluating effective methods. The Journal of Hospital Infection 2014 June; 87 (2): 77-83.
- Jones R, Hutton A, Mariyaselvam M, Hodges E, Wong K, Blunt M, Young P. Keyboard cleanliness: A controlled study of the residual effect of chlorhexidine gluconate. American journal of infection control 43 (3), 289-291
- Young P, Howell V, Blunt M, Sharma S. Laryngoscope Cleaning: A chlorhexidine wipe maintains a clean handle before, during and after use. Accessed online at: http://www.bja.oxfordjournals.org:80/cgi/qa-display/brjana_forum;1
- Durdey S, Howell V, Young P. Chlorhexidine wipes for clean laryngoscope handles. Technic: The Journal of Operating Department Practice 2012;3:12
Innovation in the NHS
- Mariyaselvam M, Fawsy E, Young P. Innovation in the NHS. Anaesthesia News May 2015: 334: 22-24.
- Young P, Mariyaselvam M. Grassroots Medical Device Innovation in the NHS – A New Model. NHS Executive September 2015: 34-35.
- Evans LA, Young PJ. Preventing iatrogenic air embolism in the intensive care unit. Med Device Technol. 2007;18(3):36-7.
- Carter J, Santhirapala R, Prince E, Young P. A non-interchangable connector for Central Venous Pressure Lines. European Medical Device Technology. 2011. http://www.emdt.co.uk/article/noninterchangeable-connector-central-venous-pressure-lines
Non-injectable Arterial Connector
- Santhirapala R, Carter J, Young P. Safer arterial access. Medical Device Technology 2009 Oct;20(6):36-7.
- Mariyaselvam M, Heij R, Laba D, Richardson J, Hodges E, Maduakor C, Carter J, Young P. Description of a new non-injectable connector to reduce the complications of arterial blood sampling. Anaesthesia. 2014 Oct 11. doi: 10.1111/anae.12884. [Epub ahead of print]
Chest Drain Forceps
- Doyle A, White T, Hutton A, McGuire K, Moondi P, Young P. New Approach for Safe Chest Tube Thoracoscomy Insertion. International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2014; 5: 51-55.
- Mariyaselvam M, Hodges E, Richardson J, Steel A, Moondi P, Young P. The Coated Antiseptic Tip (CAT) Syringe. Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology 2015.
- Blunt MC, Young P, Ridley SA. A comparison of the effects of dopexamine and prostacyclin in systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Anaesthesia 1999; 54: 311-319.
- Contributing Author. Prevalence and outcome of gastrointestinal bleeding and use of acid suppressants in acutely ill adult intensive care patients. Intensive Care Medicine. In Press.
- Young P. Futility and Critical Care. Journal of the Intensive Care Society (JICS) April 2014
- Engineered Solutions to Prevent Drug Errors. Carter J, Young P, Barsted C. British Medical Journal 17 March 2009
- Young PJ. What is Reasonable Informed Consent? bmj.com/cgi/eletters/324/7328/39#19010, 24 Jan 2002
- Young PJ, Blunt M. Why KY? Anaesthesia 2001; 56(12): 1208.
- Poulton B, Young PJ. A Novel Method for Epidural Catheter Fixation. Anaesthesia 2000; 55(11): 1141.
Heat and Moisture Exchangers
- Doyle A, Joshi M, Frank P, Craven T, Moondi P, Young P. A change in humidification system can eliminate endotracheal tube occlusion. Journal of Critical Care 2011; 26: 637. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21439765
- Doyle A, Mariyaselvam M, Wijewardena G, English N, Gent E, Young P. The simultaneous use of a heat and moisture exchanger and a heated humidifier causes critical airway occlusion in less than 24 hours. Journal of critical Care 2015; 30(5): 1154-115
- Doyle A, Santhirapala R, Stimpson J, Young P, Carter J. A comparison of two epidural catheter connectors. International Journal of Obstectric Anaesthesia 2011 Jan; 20 (1): 34-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131193